Tuesday, October 21, 2014

One Year In Africa

September 11th marked our first year in Africa. I cannot believe how quickly this last year has gone. We have been able to see so many things and grow so much as a family it's been amazing. Everyone told us it would take a good 6 months to a year for us to feel settled, and I can say that was completely true for our family. It was a big adjustment for us; a new culture, country, schools, work for Chase, no work for me, it all affected us. Even with the stress of acclimating to this new life, we are so happy we took the leap to come here. Before leaving America Chase and I sat down together and made a list of goals we want to accomplish during our time here in Africa. Some of the goals are for us as individuals and some are for us as a family. Every so often we talk about these goals and see where we are in achieving them. One of our big goals in coming here was to grow stronger and more connected as a family of four. We are blessed to have the luxury of not having to do house or lawn work while living here so we do have more time for us. Chase works long days so it's nice that in the evenings and on the weekends we have time for the kids and each other.  We play more, laugh more, and appreciate each other more and that in itself has been a huge blessing and benefit of this last year. We are finding out what our family of four is really all about and it's so much fun!
For our one year mark I decided to barrow an idea from of few blogs of friends here and ask our family about some of their favorite things in Africa, and here is how we all responded...

What is your favorite thing about living in Africa?
Mitchell: All the Animals!! "I love seeing all the different kinds of Africa animals. It's cool that they aren't in cages."
Spencer: ANIMALS! "especially Elephants"
Chase: Time off from work. "It's different from the states. If I am not at work it's really free time. Play golf, ride bikes, do whatever we want. There's no yard work, no housework, we get to spend time doing things as a family".
Me: I love the weather here! It's fabulous that we can be outside every day of the year here. The summer can be hot, but there is typically always a gentle breeze and a shady spot to keep you cool. As for the winters they a chilly and we did miss our central heating, but if you put on an extra layer or step into the sun you will warm right up!  The climate has helped us to be a more active family also and I love our time outdoors together. We have gotten into golfing, biking, and soon hiking and in general just play play play!

What's your favorite place to eat in Pretoria?
Mitchell: Papachinos "Because it has a playground"
Spencer: Papachinos "cause I like it there"
Chase: Papachinos. Not the best food but just favorite place to eat.
Me: Pretoria has a lot of tea gardens around the city which are typically lovely little lunch places that serve salads and sandwiches. They usually have lovely landscaped outdoor seating and make great places for my friends and I to meet for lunch through out the week. My favorite is a place called Le Vie Liente they have a fabulous lunch and brunch, great to enjoy with a glass of wine or a coffee! I took both my parents and Chase's parents there and everyone loved it. My favorite date night place has been La Brassarie de Paris a cute intimate French restaurant where Chase and I celebrated our wedding Anniversary. I also love a popular place called The Tin Roof which serves a variety of good food set in a beautiful surroundings out in the middle of the country. Finally I too enjoy Papachinos, mostly because its our fall back for the nights I don't feel like cooking or when Chase and I just want to have a drink and talk while the kids play. I will for sure miss this restaurant when we move back and can't send our kids to the playground where there is a "child minder" to watch them play while we relax.

What has been your favorite place we have visited while living in Africa? 
Mitchell: "Krugar because we saw so many different animals"
Spencer:"Krugar because I like Elephants"
Chase: Krugar
Me: My favorite vacations so far have been Christmas in Australia and our Safari in Krugar with my parents. Getting to be with my sister for the holidays was amazing. I am so happy we were able to take the time and go to see her and the family. That was something we wouldn't have been able to do any time soon while living in America. Then the safari was just an all around fabulous experience not only was it wonderful to be there with my parents, but everything from the game drives to the food was the best! It was perfect.

What has been the hardest part about living in Africa? 
Mitchell: Being away from family
Spencer: no comment -
Chase: dealing with rude people... (though we have plenty in America too)
Me: Of course being so far away from family and friends. We miss everyone all the time and hate missing out on so many milestones from births, to birthdays, holidays, and more. That part gets tough and there are for sure days we go through spurts of homesickness. But the wonderful thing about our family and close friends is that we know you all will be behind us and there for us always when we need you. :)

What has been the hardest thing to get use to in Africa?
Mitchell: new schools
Spencer: "nothing"
Chase: The braii... figuring out the braii box and cooking with wood etc..
Me: The time it takes people to get back to you. When you call and leave a message or send an email it's common not to hear about from people for several days or at all. Typically I have to call several times and several different people to get things done sometimes. Also, adjusting to the variety of languages spoken here... the phrase "sorry I am only speak Enlgish" is one I say almost once a day! Also, seeing kids riding in cars without car seats... we are talking infants in laps in the front seat, it makes me soo nervous, especially with the crazy crazy drivers here!

What do you miss most about America? 
Mitchell: "All our stuff, like my toys that we didn't pack"
Spencer: "My kitchen and grandma and grandpa"
Chase: Internet
Me: Convenience shopping. I miss going to one store and getting everything I need for the week! and to narrow it down I miss TARGET the most! :)

What is the first thing you are going to eat when we go home for Christmas? 
Mitchell: "Make our own pizza night" - with our favorite crust
Spencer: "Macaroni and Cheese!"
Chase: A Burrito
Me: Mexican, any of our favorites! Stop number one off the airplane La Fuente Mexcian Restaurant


In a nut shell the first year has had ups and downs, but we feel very blessed to have experienced so many new and exciting things! We look forward our trip back to America at Christmas time and can't wait to see everyone and catch up!
See you all soon! Lots of Hugs and Kisses to all!

Some of our Favorite Days, I have soo many favorite pics it's hard to choose but here are a few:

Biking in the neighborhood

Playing on the beach in Durban

Enjoying the wineries of Cape Town

Grandpa and Grandma Hartz at the Farm Inn

Utterbacks in Klassarie Reserve - Krugar

Golfing with the boys

Just being silly at the house

Mitchell's Ale House: Cape Town Waterfront

Evening Game Drives

The Safari Truck


Morning Coffee with Amarulla 

An African Sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment